Follow on Bloglovin

Friday 15 August 2014

Going to University? Here's my advice and tips.



The Great Hall, Leeds.





Seeing as A level results came out this week and a lot of people will be heading off to university in September I thought I would do my own little post about my time at university (specifically moving to and living in halls), some tips I have for people going to university, and also some of the small regrets I have of my time at university. But don't get me wrong I absolutely loved my time at the University of Leeds really, but of course I have some small regrets and some things I would have liked to have done slightly differently. 

It is crazy to think that this time three years ago I had just got my A level results and had been offered a place at the University of Leeds. Without a doubt I loved my time at university and am 100% glad that I went and completed my degree. Even when times got tough, and when I got really stressed out and just wanted to pack it all in and quit, I am still so proud of myself for sticking it out and achieving my degree with a 2.1. The University of Leeds is a great university and would always recommend that people go there, Leeds is also a fantastic city and is always a great place to visit. 

First year was definitely the year where I changed so much, and partly grew into the person I am today. It is also the year where I made friendships which I hope will last the rest of my life. But it is also the year I had to put up with a lot of annoying crap. I went straight into halls and lived in a hall of 5 people, but fortunately I had an ensuite bathroom to myself. I do not miss halls at all, my other two years at university were definitely an improvement. 

Some people love halls, whereas I was definitely not a fan, at all. Halls are great for really social people, who love sharing everything, enjoy being kept up during the night, and love fire alarms at 7 in the morning after getting in from a night out at 4am. But like I said, other people love university halls. 




The Parkinson building, Leeds.



Some of my own tips for people going to university:

- Don't take anything of value into halls, or at least keep them in your own room. Things will get taken, used or broken. I had a roommate who ate most of my food so I ended up storing most of it in my room, and I also had another flatmate who broke my digital camera, not on purpose but whilst dropping it when drunk. You might think your stuff will be safe, but again it is always best to be on the safe side. 

- Following on from my previous tip; take insurance out on your belongings.

- Take a prom/smart dress. You will want one in your first weeks at university especially with all the events and parties such as the Freshers Ball. 

- Try to find your future flatmates on Facebook/ Twitter etc before actually moving in. It is a great way to meet the people you will be living with, better to get to know them a little before moving in and also a good way to ease any moving anxieties you may have.

- Do a trip to IKEA or another homeware store before moving in. 

- Stock up on food to take with you, or ask for food parcels off your parents/grandparents. This is what my family did for me before I moved away and it definitely helped me save money during my time at university. Also ask for lots of washing powder etc as you will have to do your own laundry once you move to university. I also stocked up on toiletries before I went so I didn't have to buy loads whilst at university.

- Before you go print/prepare photos you want up on your bedroom wall. Having photos up around you in your room is great when you're feeling homesick. 

- Wait until you start lectures before buying any of the recommended textbooks. Textbooks are ridiculously expensive, and it is likely that you will be able to access them online through your library, saving yourself a lot of money. The Psychology school at Leeds also do a used book sale at the start of the first semester, which is a great opportunity to buy secondhand textbooks from students in the years above.  

- Finally, relax and make sure you enjoy and make the most of your first year at university. It doesn't matter if you get a first or a third for your final mark in your first year, it will not count towards your final degree classification, at all. So make sure you go out, make friends and most importantly have fun. The second and third year definitely do count and will be a lot more work than the first year, they are the years to stay up till 4 am in the library finishing essays, and definitely the years to work your ass off. 



Heres me in my final year submitting my dissertation. 


Here is a photo to demonstrate the thickness of my dissertation. 





Also, I obviously recommend that you make yourself some check lists and such before you move to university to make sure you have packed and prepared everything you will need. Also check out other tips and items to take to university before you go. 

Here is a great link I found. 




I had said that I was going to share some of my regrets of my time whilst at university, but I think regret is the wrong word to use really. I don't so much as regret any of my time at the University of Leeds, nor would i change it, but a part of me does wish that I could do it again slightly differently. 

For example;
- I wish I had spent more of my spare time actually in Leeds, and had explored the city more than I did. 
- I also wish I had joined some of the societies at university during my three years, and had overcome my shyness whilst in first year. Whilst at university it is a great time to meet more likeminded people and also try some new hobbies.  
- I also wish I went out more during my second and third years, as now I'm back in a "city" with no good night clubs, thus I wish I had explored more of the night clubs in Leeds whilst I had the chance. 





Here is just a small insight into university life, so if anyone has any questions about university, my Psychology degree, or the University of Leeds please do not hesitate to ask! 







2 comments:

  1. Even though, uni is a long way off for me! I really enjoyed this post and found the points very useful and am sure it will defiantly help those who are need for guide :)x

    Rebecca | Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you! I really enjoyed writing the post so glad someone enjoyed reading it too! x

    ReplyDelete