Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday 3 July 2014

Happy Holidays!

I thought I would do a quick post about my holiday to Menorca. As I got treated to a free holiday thanks to my boyfriend's lovely mother! We went away for a week, flying from Blackpool, which was a long enough time to go away for to Menorca. 

Ultimately the holiday was a beach/pool holiday to just relax and chill, especially relaxing seeing as I have recently finished my degree; so a week of relaxing and not doing much after many deadlines and exams was definitely needed. 

We stopped in S'Algar in Menorca, which was about a 20 minute bus journey from the capital Mahon, and where the airport was. The flight was only 2hr 30 minutes which is a bonus, and thankfully we had really good flight times. We got 7 nights and 7 days in total in Menorca, and it was just the right amount of time to go away for. 

The apartments were really lovely, really nice and spacious and also clean. Our apartment was on the second floor (the apartments were either first or second floors), so we had a lovely view of the town and sea from our apartment. Most days the weather was lovely and hot, but not overbearingly hot thankfully. I think the warm weather we had been having in the UK had slightly prepared us for the heat. A couple of days were more overcast/cloudy but it was still very warm and we had not rain, woo! 

Most days we just walked around taking in our surroundings and the town, a couple of days we stayed by the pool and a couple of days we went into the Capital Mahon. Although we had a really lovely time, there was not really too much to do, hence why 7 days was long enough. We walked to the neighbouring towns a couple of times, but with the heat and also the fact that there was not much in those towns either, it was not worthwhile walking to them too much. 

The city of Mahon was truly lovely, and a definite must if you are going to Menorca. It was refreshing to have a change of scenery and also to have the options of different shops and bars. We mainly walked around all the shops and streets, and also round the harbour. We went on a glass bottom boat, but that day the weather was really windy, leaving us both feeling motion sickness! I suffer quite badly from motion sickness and don't advise anybody to get on a boat when the weather is windy! On the Saturday we sat in a cafe next to the main church in the city, there was a wedding on so it was lovely to watch all the dressed up people going into the church. The wedding party also hired a DJ who was fortunately playing all the kind of music my boyfriend and I love. Sitting by the church, drinking a small beer and listening to the music was definitely one of my highlights of the holiday. 

I didn't really spend much on our holiday as I always tend to go for the cheaper food options (habit of being a poor student!), and also recently bought lots of clothes that I didn't need to buy anything. The only thing I bought was a bookmark from a local art gallery! And my boyfriend treated me to a new cute make up bag from one of the shops in the capital. 

Overall I had a really lovely time and it was so nice to just get away with my boyfriend and experience our first real holiday together. We have been to London together, but this was our first holiday abroad. Ive come back slightly browner, and way more freckly, and unfortunately with a few bites from the mosquitos. I got bitten 3/4 times and my boyfriend didn't get bitten once! Typical. I think in future we will stick to more city breaks :) 












No comments:

Post a Comment